All patients who underwent surgery to excise cavernous formations in the rectal region need a diet after removal of hemorrhoids. Compliance with proper nutrition in the postoperative period is the key to a quick recovery, prevention of complications and relapses. The article describes the principles of the dietary table after surgery, cooking methods, a sample menu for patients and other useful tips.
What can I eat right after the operation?
In the first day after surgery, food should be discarded, it is recommended only to drink. This will help relieve the intestines from excessive loads. Eating is allowed after 24 hours, while ordinary food will not work. Nutrition after hemorrhoids surgery:
- Porridge on diluted milk, water (crushed by a blender or rubbed through a sieve).
- Vegetable broth or broth (without the vegetables themselves).
- Classic steam omelet.
- Jelly, fruit jelly.
- Compote, weak black and green tea diluted in half with fresh juice (plum, grape, apricot must not be).
Important. At first, the amount of food at one time should not exceed 250 g, while you need to eat at least 6 times a day, or better 8. All dishes should be served in a warm, liquid or semi-liquid consistency. The amount of salt must be reduced to 1 g per day.
For 2–4 days, new products and dishes from them are introduced into the menu of the operated patient. They are still prepared in a couple or just boiled. The six-fold fractional nutrition, which facilitates the work of the intestine, makes feces softer, remains unchanged.
Example menu after surgery (first 2 weeks)
Not always the patient can independently determine the list of dishes for the day. The following menu example will help ease the task:
- Breakfast: poached egg, weak tea.
- Breakfast (second): 1-2 baked apples.
- Lunch: soup with semolina on a vegetable broth, steamed chicken meatballs, dried fruit compote.
- Snack: wheat crackers, rosehip broth.
- Dinner: buckwheat with cottage cheese, tea
- Snack: freshly grated cottage cheese.
The following menu option can be used 5-7 days after the operation:
- Breakfast: oatmeal with milk, tea.
- Breakfast (second): berry jelly.
- Lunch: oat soup, boiled rabbit meat, fresh fruit.
- Snack: steamed omelet, crackers, dried fruit compote.
- Dinner: boiled fish, tea with cream
- Snack: baked apple.
Diet during recovery
2 weeks after the operation, the menu becomes more diverse. Now food intake is reduced to 5 times a day, and dishes can not only be steamed and boiled, but also stewed, baked (only without a crust). At the same time, the dietary table should give strength to restore the body, it is important that the diet is balanced, and the products are healthy.
The main emphasis must be placed on stewed and fresh vegetables, dairy products. They do not overload the stomach and promote regular stool.
List of allowed products:
- lean meat and fish, seafood, eggs,
- buckwheat, wheat, pearl barley, barley, millet,
- soups on the second meat, fish broth, borsch, beetroot soup, cabbage soup,
- bread from second-grade flour (and not fresh, but yesterday), biscuit cookies, dry biscuit,
- fresh cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese, cream, milk, sour cream (in dishes),
- bechamel sauce, tomato, sour cream,
- ripe, sweet berries and fruits,
- zucchini, carrots pumpkin, beets, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower,
- green tea, fruit, black, chicory, compotes, vegetable, berry, fruit juices,
- honey, marmalade, jam, pastille in limited quantities,
- rice groats, potato dishes infrequently.
- fresh apples, cabbage, radish, legumes,
- grapes, gooseberries, citrus fruits,
- sorrel, onion, radish, garlic,
- smoked meats, pickled and spicy foods,
- natural coffee, alcoholic drinks, sparkling water, kvass, cocoa, strong tea.
Example menu after surgery (2 weeks - 1 month)
Almost all main dishes are allowed to the patient. Casseroles, puddings, meat in the oven, a variety of stews - eat what your heart desires. So, an example menu:
- Breakfast: buckwheat flakes, grated cheese, soft-boiled egg, tea.
- Breakfast (second): steamed meatballs, unsweetened yogurt.
- Lunch: vegetable puree soup, steamed meatloaf, cauliflower casserole, compote.
- Snack: cottage cheese pudding, fruit jelly.
- Dinner: mashed potatoes, boiled fish with sour cream sauce, biscuits, tea.
Or another option:
- Breakfast: steam omelet with carrots, vegetable salad, fresh fruit.
- Breakfast (second): cottage cheese with sour cream, a slice of bread with jam, tea with milk.
- Lunch: soup with noodles and meatballs, fish baked with vegetables, stewed fruit.
- Snack: dry cookies, liver pate, fruit jelly.
- Dinner: sweet milk porridge, carrot and apple roll, biscuit, tea with honey.
The recovery process after surgery for hemorrhoids is largely dependent on nutrition, so you should not neglect a therapeutic diet. It helps to significantly improve digestion, normalize stool, restore basic bowel function, and avoid bloating and abdominal pain. With proper diet, you can return to your usual lifestyle in a month.
Nutrition after surgery to remove hemorrhoids
A day before the operation and a day after it, a person is shown hunger. Such manipulations are forced, and they are associated with the fact that the operation takes place on the intestines. It should have been ideally clean of feces, fluid. And after surgery, the day requires the most sterile environment around the wound, since otherwise the development of putrefactive processes and inflammation is possible.
Hunger in the first hours after surgery allows the digestive system to recover from stress, prevents the passage of feces and, accordingly, infection. In addition, the very fact of movement in the intestine contributes to exceeding the permissible doses of mechanical stress, which can lead to seam rupture and other serious consequences for the patient.
But, again, such restrictions apply only a day after the operation. After you need to switch to medical nutrition - diet. The intestines should restore their normal functioning. Constipation, hardening of feces in the postoperative period is very dangerous. You can’t push, sit in the toilet for a long time. Hardened feces and any pressure will negatively affect recovery in the postoperative period.
What can I eat after surgery?
Diet after surgery to remove hemorrhoids must meet the following requirements:
- All dishes are cooked boiled, stewed or steamed. All fried is categorically excluded. Will have to review the entire diet. He must be gentle.
- The food is selected neutral, nothing should cause a sharp reaction of the operated intestine. Fatty foods or the use of pronounced seasonings are not recommended. This causes an additional ejection of bile, in excess of the prescribed stimulates motility, which is not very good in this period. The intestines in the field of surgical intervention must be treated very carefully.
After removal of hemorrhoidal nodes, products that do not cause irritation of the gastrointestinal tract are introduced into the diet of patients
Diet involves the presence of food that regulates the number of bowel movements and the structure of feces
The general conclusion suggests that the diet after surgery to remove hemorrhoids should be as gentle as possible, but at the same time complete. Its observance should lead to a quick recovery, good healing of joints and an overall improvement in the quality of your life.
Diet after operating hemorrhoids. Menu
After daily starvation immediately after the operation, you can gradually start to run the intestines. On the second day you already need to eat. Cook light cereals in water without using butter. It is possible from oatmeal, millet, buckwheat. Sugar is better to limit. But if you really want, then take half a teaspoon (2-3 grams) per serving of porridge. Diet after surgery to remove hemorrhoids is allowed on the third day, if there is no temperature and other contraindications.
As for the liquid, in addition to non-carbonated mineral water, you can brew green tea (not strong) and weak decoctions of herbs. For example, such as:
After the operation, you can drink clean water, infusions of herbs that do not cause constipation and disturbances in the digestive tract
- chamomile. It relieves spasms and is recommended for diseases of the gastrointestinal tract,
- nettle. This medicinal plant cleanses the blood and improves its formula,
- yarrow grass. Very useful for gastrointestinal diseases. But first try how you perceive its taste after surgery.
Decoctions do this:
- Throw 1-2 tablespoons of dry grass per liter of water and cook for 15-20 minutes in a water bath.
- Pour grass into a liter jar and pour boiling water, observing safety precautions. Cover with a capron lid and wrap it carefully. The infusion is steamed for about two hours. Then take it as tea.
What can I eat after surgery?
Food should be saturated with proteins - the building material for cells. It is found in meat, fish, eggs, cottage cheese and cheese, dairy products.
You can eat young beef, rabbit meat, turkey, chicken. The same requirements for fish - it should be non-greasy. These are pollock, hake and other varieties.
Cheese is possible, but not fatty and not smoked. Better something like cheese "Health", low-fat cottage cheese. Kefir or fermented baked milk is allowed in any percentage, to your taste. Just do not eat fat homemade dairy products.
As for vegetables, there is a wide choice: beets, carrots, pumpkin, zucchini, cauliflower inflorescences. Of the fruits, bananas, kiwi, prunes, dogwood are shown.
Do not forget about the method of cooking and general recommendations for nutrition after surgery.
Diet after removal of hemorrhoids will provide quick recovery, as well as well-being. The quality of the stool depends on nutrition, which directly affects the healing process and the integrity of the joints in the postoperative period. With proper nutrition, the possibility of complications will greatly decrease.
The diet after surgery to remove hemorrhoids is adjusted by the doctor based on certain rules:
- The patient’s food should contain the necessary nutrients, which has a beneficial effect on the hemorrhoid.
- After surgery, in the early days of the patient, eating is strictly prohibited. Otherwise, bowel movements may occur, which will adversely affect postoperative sutures and cause cracks.
- The patient is recommended to eat every three hours. At the same time, portions of food should be as small as possible.
- The diet after hemorrhoids should be designed so that the patient does not experience flatulence. A universal nutrition is selected for the patient, which will correspond to the fastest healing of sutures.
- When compiling a diet, products are selected that provide a soft and regular stool. The composition of the diet consists mainly of protein-vegetable products. It is recommended to serve them in a baked, boiled or stewed form, so as not to cause bloating.
- The patient is recommended to eat vegetables and fruits daily. Their number in total should not exceed the figure of 500 grams.
All of the above rules are followed within a month after the operation to remove hemorrhoids, this will provide quick healing of wounds and restoration of vitality of the body.
What foods should be consumed?
The diet menu after hemorrhoid surgery is developed on the basis of the allowed list of products, it is forbidden to eat bread. (the possible product with which it is replaced is a whole-meal product.)
To ensure the highest quality digestion, fermented milk products are used.
Allowed fish, veal and chicken. Food should be as light as possible.
Also, the patient's menu consists of vegetables:
Of the fruits, patients are only allowed to eat bananas and kiwi. Eat dried apricots and prunes in small quantities, they will help ensure the full functioning of the intestine.
What you can not eat after the operation:
- Kvass and brown bread.
- Raisins and white cabbage.
- The prohibited product is milk, especially if the patient has a late stage of the disease.
From the patient’s diet are excluded:
- smoked meats
- alcoholic drinks
Do not eat legumes, radishes, turnips, peas, raspberries in the first week after surgery. Garlic, onions, dates and gooseberries are products that provoke a feeling of hunger. Therefore, in the recovery period, they must be abandoned (first 3 weeks).
Diet after surgery and its special role
If a person had to face a severe course of a disease, the exacerbations of which often occur and are painful, while conservative treatment did not give results, surgical excision of hemorrhoidal nodes is indicated, especially if the stage of the disease is the third.
As soon as the node is removed, the postoperative period begins, which lasts about a month.All this time it is very important to eat right, because the key to successful intestinal restoration depends on which diet is selected and which diet the patient adheres to after hemorrhoids.
Over 30 years of my practice have shown that there are no miracles in the treatment of hemorrhoids, and at the same time, there are tools that can help a lot of people with this delicate problem.
Irritation of the intestinal walls by the components that make up the food, increased blood flow in the pelvic area, bloating, constipation, destabilization of the intrauterine pressure can provoke various kinds of problems. Among the most popular are:
- scar infection
- anal bleeding
- seam rupture.
Random nutrition can lead to such dangerous consequences after ligation of hemorrhoidal nodes. However, thanks to the special restrictions in food, they manage to pass them and ensure the speedy healing of the scar.
General nutritional advice after surgery
The primary rules that a patient who has undergone surgery should follow, as a result of which hemorrhoids and rectal fissures have been removed, are as follows:
Hemorrhoids is a serious disease that causes a lot of anxiety, fortunately, there are remedies that help both relieve symptoms and help heal. One of them .
- The restriction in the use of many products should not be reflected in the usefulness and nutritional value of dishes. A recovering body needs considerable amounts of vitamins and useful components to maintain basic functions, so there must be a sufficient amount of them in a selected diet.
- The whole daily amount of food should be divided into 5-6 small portions. Do not strain the stomach by eating a lot at a time.
- Exclude from the menu those products that can cause bloating. They are able to provoke the formation of gases that do not have the best effect on wound healing.
- Food should be digested promptly. It is important to monitor the stool resulting from digestion. It should be soft.
- Food should not be hot or cold, so as not to irritate internal organs once again.
After removal of hemorrhoidal nodes, the first 24 hours are the most difficult period. It is advisable to avoid the bowel movement during this period. That is why experts recommend completely abandoning food intake on the first day. Liquids - just the opposite, you need to drink as much as possible.
The very next day you can eat vegetable decoctions, oatmeal cooked in water.
After the wounds began to heal a bit, you need to switch to a specially designed diet menu. A light balanced diet does not accept the presence of components that cause the intestines to begin to function abruptly.
During the first 30 days, the diet after surgery to remove hemorrhoids must adhere to particularly strict restrictions. Already from the second month you can allow some indulgence in nutrition, but within reasonable limits.
It is very important to monitor the balance of the diet. When developing a diet after hemorrhoidectomy, it is necessary to ensure that the body is equipped with all the necessary components.
This can be achieved through a varied menu, the alternation of products, various recipes.
Postoperative Menu Tips
The entire first month continues the postoperative period. When planning a diet after removing hemorrhoids, you should have a clear idea of those products that are allowed to be consumed.
Important! In the first week after surgery, you must adhere to the strictest restrictions on food.
Throughout the first four weeks after surgery, one should not forget about the fragmentation of food intake, which should be boiled or steamed. It is important to eat at the same time intervals at the same intervals. The drinking regimen is closely monitored.
The diet menu after hemorrhoid surgery may contain something like the following:
- soups cooked on the basis of vegetable broths,
- buckwheat or oatmeal porridge, which should be a semi-liquid consistency and cooked necessarily in the water,
- it is allowed to use non-fat types of meat in the menu, for example, poultry, steamed cutlets or meatballs will be just right
- allowed the use of low-fat kefir and grated cottage cheese.
For a week, such nutrition is maintained. After that, you can gradually enter the menu of stewed vegetables, baked apples.
What should be the nutrition after the postoperative period
As soon as a month passes, the postoperative period ends, but this is not considered an occasion to return to the usual diet - who knows, maybe it was he who was destined to cause the development of an unpleasant ailment.
Therefore, the main principles of the diet after surgery for hemorrhoids should be maintained even after recovery:
- a single portion of a small amount,
- frequent meals,
- vegetables should be a priority
- meat is only low-fat and not fried,
- limit or completely eliminate the use of white bread, butter products, pasta,
- instead of sugar, it’s better to eat honey, fruits,
- remove smoked, fried, chocolate, coffee from the diet,
- use fermented milk products every day,
- completely abandon alcohol-containing drinks.
For the prevention of pathology, diet alone is not enough.
Important! In order to keep the intestines in good shape, it is necessary to perform physical exercises, and include fiber-rich foods in the diet.
The question of what can not be eaten excites all patients who know firsthand about hemorrhoids. During the rehabilitation period, the diet should not contain the following products:
- milk, raisins, brown bread, kvass, grapes,
- carbonated drinks, alcoholic products, smoked meats, pickles,
- radish, radish, turnip, white cabbage,
- mushrooms are also a prohibited product,
- lamb, pork,
- onions, garlic, apples, gooseberries, dates.
It is impossible to use all these products, since they, having overcome the path to the intestines, can cause flatulence and fermentation.
Foods to eat
Doctors recommend a list of products that you can eat to those patients who could not avoid surgery to excise hemorrhoids of the 3rd degree.
- Millet or buckwheat porridge, always crumbly. The advantage of these cereals is that they are very nutritious, but at the same time do not burden the digestive tract.
- Bread, allowed for use, is necessarily prepared on the basis of wholemeal flour.
- Any sour-milk product used stimulates good digestion, as it contains a considerable amount of beneficial microorganisms.
- After a week, you can expand the menu by adding fish and meat.
- Vegetables with delicate fiber should be consumed daily.
- Among a wide variety of fruits, one should opt for bananas and kiwi.
Nutrition after surgery for hemorrhoids, especially 3 degrees, should be selected very carefully. It is important not to forget that in case of non-compliance with the rules of nutrition after completion of treatment, relapse is possible.
Food as a medicine
Circulatory disturbance (venous congestion) in the vessels of the rectum provokes the formation of hemorrhoidal nodes. The patient’s food preferences are one of the factors causing the pathology - spicy, heavy, difficult to digest food, alcohol, causes stagnation of blood in the perineum, and blood overflow of veins of the rectum.
In order to avoid such a process, the table of the patient with hemorrhoids should completely exclude products provocateurs. The diet that a hemorrhoid patient should follow should counteract constipation and bloating - soft stools will help avoid injuries to the hemorrhoidal zones.
A patient with hemorrhoids should eat properly throughout his life - otherwise the disease recurs. Allowed products allow a person to receive all the necessary nutrients, eat tasty and varied.
Existing methods of surgical treatment of hemorrhoids allow the patient to recover quite quickly - after a few days he can leave the clinic, but there are postoperative phenomena that will take 4-5 weeks to eliminate. In the first days, the pain is most acute, then, by 10-14 days, the pain disappears. During this period, the healing rate of postoperative wounds will depend solely on the patient’s nutrition.
It should be borne in mind that even with the highest level of surgery, the patient will inevitably face:
- pain syndrome
- fear of pain during bowel movements,
- in rare cases, with cracks and bleeding from them (the cause is too hard or voluminous stools).
Diet after surgery to remove hemorrhoids will avoid postoperative complications and complex treatment.
Nutrition in a month
On the first day after a month after the operation, the patient’s menu changes. Nutrition becomes balanced. To eliminate constipation, fermented milk products, cereals with a lot of fiber are used.
On the 1st day after ligation of hemorrhoidal nodes, it is necessary to exclude the drinking of strong and carbonated drinks, as well as fatty meat, strong coffee and tea, and sweets.
If the patient eats properly after removal of hemorrhoidal nodes, this will lead to rapid healing of wounds.
Diet in the first three days after surgery
Patients before surgery are often interested in - what can I eat after surgery for hemorrhoids?
The first day after the intervention should pass without eating food.
It is allowed to drink liquids - mineral water without gas or ordinary pure drinking water is best suited for this.
Compliance with the drinking regime is important for the patient with hemorrhoids and involves the use of at least two liters of water per day. Such a diet will allow the body not to form feces in the first 48 hours after surgery.
Food after removal of hemorrhoids 24 hours after surgery must include drinks without added sugar:
- weak tea (preferably green)
- tea from herbs (chamomile, chamomile with nettle, chamomile with mint, chamomile with lemon balm and nettle).
- dried fruits (apples, dried prunes).
By the end of the second day, you can include in the menu liquid porridge on the water:
Porridge should be well boiled, liquid, the addition of milk, sugar, butter is prohibited. If it is difficult for a patient to consume fresh porridge, it can be sweetened with half a teaspoon of honey or fructose.
Food can be taken every 2.5 to 3 hours (at least 6 times throughout the day).
On the third day, the menu after the operation becomes already closer to the main one allowed before the operation. The nutrition of the patient should not only be varied and complete, provide the patient's body with all the elements necessary for a person. The patient can be given dairy products (low fat) - fermented baked milk, kefir, yogurt.
Drinking regimen must be maintained. The patient in the postoperative period and then need to drink a glass of liquid every three hours.
The menu in the first week after the intervention is gradually expanding, supplemented by steamed meat and fish dishes.
Nutrition of the patient in the first 14 days after surgery
The proper nutritional behavior of a patient who has undergone surgical treatment is determined by the rules, the purpose of which is to create the most sparing conditions for healing and renewal of the rectal mucosa.
- Food should be taken at least 6 times a day.
- Servings should be small (fit in handfuls).
- After eating, there should be no feeling of an overflowing stomach.
- Alcoholic beverages should be excluded from the menu.
- No smoking.
- The menu should consist of high-quality, nutrient-rich food, dishes are selected in accordance with the taste preferences of the patient.
- The menu should include olive, linseed, sunflower, hemp oil.
- Laxatives used only in rare cases, the restoration of normal bowel movements is carried out only by changing the foods used. One-time use Dufalac (or other laxatives based on lactulose).
- It is necessary to give the body a small load 2-3 times a day - walking in the morning, in the afternoon, in the afternoon and in the evening is good.
What can I eat in the second week after surgery? The menu can be composed of steamed or boiled vegetables with milk sauce. All week the patient can be given soups on a vegetable broth, cereals with the addition of meatballs or steam cutlets with milk sauce. As a dessert, you can add baked apples. The amount of sugar should be limited - no more than a tablespoon of honey or fructose per day. Vegetable oils can be added to cereal after cooking. The main cooking methods are boiling, stewing and steaming.
Menu for 1 day for the second week of illness
Breakfast: buckwheat porridge with a teaspoon of vegetable oil, 1 egg omelette, baked in the oven, 2 steamed prunes, weak unsweetened green tea,
Dinner: vegetable soup with vegetable oil, steamed meat patty, a slice of gray bread, 2-3 pieces of steamed prunes,
Afternoon snack: lactic acid cocktail from ryazhenka and banana,
Dinner: barley porridge-smearing, boiled fish, a teaspoon of vegetable oil, gray bread, weak herbal tea,
Before going to bed, a glass of kefir, crisp bread (biscuits).
Nutrition after surgery to remove hemorrhoids should include the necessary amount of protein to support immunity and fat for normal liver function.
OUR READERS RECOMMEND!
For effective treatment of hemorrhoids, our readers advise Proctonol.
This natural remedy that quickly eliminates pain and itching helps to heal anal fissures and hemorrhoids.
The composition of the drug includes only natural ingredients with maximum efficiency. The tool has no contraindications, the effectiveness and safety of the drug has been proven by clinical studies at the Research Institute of Proctology.
To learn more. "
Nutrition of the patient during the rehabilitation period
Despite the improvement in the patient’s condition after the intervention, nutrition after hemorrhoid surgery still has severe restrictions on products containing a large amount of coarse plant fibers (some vegetables) and sour fruits.
For 4 weeks after surgery, traces on the mucous membranes of the rectum are completely tightened, and the patient can go to the expanded menu. All new dishes on the menu need to be introduced little by little, controlling the process of bowel cleansing. For a more balanced diet, you should adhere to complexity - each meat, fish dish should be supplemented with a side dish of stewed or boiled vegetables.
Nutrition during the recovery period
In the period after the healing of the surgical wound, in the fifth week, the menu can gradually include raw vegetables, stewed and boiled vegetables containing fiber. Allowed to use:
- yesterday’s gray bread or with the addition of bran,
- various cereals (except semolina),
- hard flour pasta, not more than 2 times a week,
- vegetables - beets, zucchini, pumpkin, broccoli and cauliflower, cucumbers, tomatoes,
- fruits - bananas, apples, prunes, dried apricots,
- all dairy products,
- lean meats - poultry, turkey, rabbit,
- river and sea fish, non-greasy,
- all kinds of quality refined vegetable oil,
- drinks from medicinal herbs, compotes, home-made juices without sugar, fruit drinks.
When adding raw seasonal vegetables to the diet, small portions are first introduced, if there are no contraindications, they are consumed in any quantity.
Prunes and dried apricots can be consumed in strictly limited quantities.
It is necessary to observe a drinking regimen (at least 3 liters of liquid with soup).
Some helpful notes
Diet after hemorrhoid surgery provides not only timely removal of processed products from the body, but also helps to improve the functions of system organs - liver, gall bladder, kidneys.
Make a menu, focusing on personal taste preferences within the framework of permitted products. You can try from time to time to deviate a little from the correct diet - allow yourself a piece of sweet or a cup of coffee. But this is in exceptional cases for the relief of depression. This action can only be carried out with a stable, steady soft stool.
It will not be superfluous to recall:
- you can’t drink with food - it violates the digestion,
- tea can be consumed half an hour after lunch, it must be very warm,
- chilled drinks can be consumed only before meals for half an hour,
- if the product is desirable to use, but it is in the list of prohibited - you can try to eat a small piece and observe the reaction. If there are no violations - from time to time the product can be eaten.
Normal physical activity, physiotherapy exercises will help stop venous congestion in the pelvis and stop the development of pathology.
Patients with a tendency to hemorrhoids need to adhere to a diet all their lives. The list of allowed products is quite large, which allows you to lead a full life, preserving health and energy until old age.
The diet prescribed to the patient after removal of hemorrhoids is a vital necessity, its purpose is to ensure the speedy healing of the wound surface and the restoration of normal intestinal activity.
The Importance of Diet
Any surgical intervention, regardless of the stage of hemorrhoids, is stressful for the body. There are several ways to excise hemorrhoid cones surgically. The operation may be closed or open. In the first case, wound healing and tissue repair are faster. The rehabilitation period lasts from 3 to 5 weeks. With an open intervention, it takes from 6 to 8 weeks to restore the body.
Throughout this period, the patient must observe proper nutrition after removal of hemorrhoids. The diet helps to prevent blood flow to the postoperative site, discrepancy of sutures, bleeding and other unpleasant complications.
General principles of diet
The diet after surgery to remove hemorrhoids has several general principles, compliance with which will help to correctly correct the treatment menu, to achieve a speedy recovery.
On the first day only clean water without gas is allowed. It is recommended to completely refuse food intake. Immediately after surgery, stool is undesirable.
The next 24 hours, you can eat well-cooked porridge. Suitable oat, barley, wheat. It is better to refuse rice, semolina. In addition, the menu after surgery on the second day should include a plentiful drink. The patient is recommended to drink pure water, stewed dogwood, decoction of nettle chamomile, green tea without sugar.
Starting from the third day, the nutrition after hemorrhoid surgery is selected by the attending physician or nutritionist, based on the following principles:
- food should be consumed in small portions, trying to do this at the same time,
- all patients are recommended to divide the daily menu into 5 meals,
- it is strictly not recommended to overeat, even if it is healthy food. After the meal, there should always be a slight feeling of hunger,
- throughout the recovery period, it is important to abandon alcohol and tobacco,
- diet should be balanced and varied. A person should not be deficient in one or another vitamin,
- per day, the patient should consume at least 3 liters of liquid, given liquid cereals and soups,
- to normalize the peristalsis of the stomach and intestines, you need to use vegetable oils daily. This will help improve the movement of feces in the intestines, facilitate bowel movements.
The objectives of clinical nutrition
The diet after surgery for hemorrhoids by the method of classical hemorrhoidectomy and other methods has several tasks. Each of them helps to speed up the healing process of the treated area, to prevent possible complications in the early postoperative period.
Diet therapy poses the following tasks:
- Strengthening the process of tissue regeneration is one of the most important tasks of the diet after removing hemorrhoids. Due to the saturation of the diet with proteins, useful vitamins and minerals, it is possible to start the process of repairing damaged tissues. You can not refuse fish and meat. These products must be non-greasy, they contain the protein necessary for the rapid regeneration of damaged areas,
- flatulence prevention is an essential condition for therapeutic nutrition. The patient is advised to refuse products that increase gas formation and the fermentation process in the stomach. These include legumes, cabbage, mushrooms, eggs, whole milk and other products,
- stool normalization - this task is achieved by introducing laxative and softening foods into the diet. For this, the daily menu should contain raw vegetables and fruits, cereals, a large amount of liquid,
- prevention of irritation of the mucous membrane of the anus and rectum - to eat during the recovery period should be food that does not contain hot spices and marinades. In addition, doctors recommend excluding smoked, salty, too acidic foods.
Not only spicy and acidic dishes are capable of causing irritation of the mucous membrane of the digestive system and intestines, but also an excess of bile acid produced by eating too fatty and fried foods. That is why it is important to consider cooking methods when dieting.
What are the ways to cook
After removing hemorrhoids, the diet should include wholesome foods and enough water. An important aspect of clinical nutrition is the way foods are prepared.
Porridge must be cooked until cooked. It is allowed to steam cereals in a thermos for the night without cooking. The most useful after removing hemorrhoids of any degree are oat, wheat and buckwheat. Do not completely abandon rice, because this product contains the necessary trace elements. Include rice in the diet should be in limited quantities, since it has a firming effect.
Vegetables and fruits during treatment immediately after removal of hemorrhoidal nodes, it is better to cook or steam. In raw form, they should be consumed only after complete healing of the sutures, because the juice of some of them can cause irritation of the gastrointestinal mucosa.
It is better to cook fish and meat by baking with a small amount of vegetable oil or steamed. This method of cooking will help preserve the nutritional elements of products, satisfy the feeling of hunger.
To properly compose a treatment menu, you should know what you can eat during a diet after surgery to remove hemorrhoids.
- lean meats - turkey, beef, rabbit, skinless chicken,
- low-fat fish - tilapia, perch, halibut, pollock, crucian carp, cod,
- seafood - oysters, shrimp, mussels, scallops,
- boiled eggs or in the form of steam omelets,
- dairy products - sour milk, fermented baked milk, kefir with a low percentage of fat,
- vegetables - cauliflower, cucumbers, zucchini, broccoli, potatoes, carrots, pumpkin,
- fruits - apples are sweet varieties, dogwood, not sour apples, bananas, kiwi,
- dried apricots, raisins, prunes (in limited quantities),
- cereals - barley, oat, buckwheat, wheat,
- low fat, hard cheeses in small quantities,
- bakery products - bran bread, crackers, biscuits and oatmeal cookies.
Sample menu after surgery
In the rehabilitation period after undergoing surgery to remove hemorrhoids, the patient is allowed to eat fully, while the menu should consist of lean dishes, exclude foods that cause constipation, excessive gas formation, diarrhea and irritation of the rectal mucosa. Given these recommendations, the patient may well be able to independently compose a daily diet.
We offer several menu options for the day:
- morning - oatmeal, loaf of grated cheese, soft-boiled egg, weakly brewed tea,
- lunch - steam omelet, cucumber salad, boiled chicken, dried fruit compote,
- day - soup puree of their pumpkins and broccoli, steamed meat cue, beet salad, green tea,
- afternoon tea - apple jelly, biscuit cookies,
- evening - mashed potatoes, bran bread with a slice of cheese and cucumber, chamomile tea,
- before going to bed - a glass of fermented baked milk or kefir.
The second menu option:
- morning - buckwheat porridge on the water, boiled fish with carrots, fresh from sweet apples,
- lunch - crackers and milk jelly,
- day - steam chicken patties, broccoli salad, soft-boiled egg, penny compote,
- afternoon tea - yesterday’s bun, weak tea,
- evening - boiled pasta with liver pate, cherry jelly,
- before going to bed, you can eat biscuit cookies and drink yogurt.
Any of the products can be replaced depending on the personal preferences of the patient. If the patient has intolerance to one or another product, it is replaced with a similar one or completely excluded from the menu.
Broccoli in a creamy sauce
To prepare the dish you will need:
- 500 g broccoli
- low fat cream
- 2 tablespoons flour
- olive oil,
- small onion
Rinse broccoli, disassemble for inflorescences, steam, until the vegetable softens. In a pan with a thick bottom, pass the chopped onion, pour it with a glass of cream, simmer for 15 minutes. Add flour, salt, olive oil to the sauce, boil for another 5 minutes, remove from heat. Pour broccoli with sauce, serve warm or cold.
Chicken cutlets with zucchini
The recipe includes such products:
- 200 g chicken breast
- small zucchini
Grind the chicken meat in a meat grinder or chop it very finely. Peel the zucchini, finely chop or grate it, squeeze out excess liquid, mix with minced chicken. Add the egg, flour, salt to the resulting mass. Lightly fry the patties in olive oil, then simmer for a couple until tender.
Pumpkin and apple puree
For cooking you will need:
- 200 g pumpkin
- 2 large apples,
- olive oil,
- 2 tablespoons sour cream with a fat content of 1.5%,
Rinse apples and pumpkin well, peel them, chop them through a meat grinder or blender. Bring the resulting mass to a boil, keep on low heat for about a quarter of an hour. Boil the cream and olive oil separately, then mix the products, boil again for 10 minutes. Salt the mashed potatoes to taste.
For a quick recovery during rehabilitation after surgery, the patient should adhere to the following recommendations:
- food and drinks should not be too hot or cold, this negatively affects the digestion process. It’s better to eat warm food,
- It is important to discard any drinks with food. This will lead to the fact that the gastric juice will be diluted, which means that food will be digested worse. It is better to drink half an hour before or 30 minutes after eating,
- after the meal, you can not immediately engage in physical work or, conversely, go to bed.
Following simple recommendations and adhering to a therapeutic diet, you can speed up the process of postoperative wounds, prevent the recurrence of hemorrhoids, and quickly return to a full-fledged lifestyle.
Features of the procedure
A hemorrhoidal node is a venous formation resulting from deformation and twisting of a vessel. In turn, this is a consequence of a violation of the state of the vascular walls and increased pressure in the pelvic area.
The nodes that appear, depending on the stage of the pathology course, can cause the owner serious discomfort, up to the point of loss of working capacity.
The main symptoms of hemorrhoids include conditions such as:
- burning and itching in the anus, worse during or after bowel movement,
- discomfort or pain during bowel movements,
- the appearance in the feces of mucous or blood secretions,
- sensation of a foreign object in the rectum, especially after bowel movement.
The progression of the disease is accompanied by prolapse of the hemorrhoid cones from the anus. Subsequently, these nodes become inflamed, which can lead to the appearance of blood clots in them (thrombosis) and even tissue death (necrosis).
The modern pharmaceutical industry can offer a wide range of drugs for the treatment of hemorrhoids of various stages. However, in the latter, drug therapy does not always lead to the intended result.
In such cases, hemorrhoidectomy is recommended - surgery to remove venous formations. As part of this procedure, hemorrhoidal nodes are surgically removed, although in some cases partial excision is possible.
There are two varieties of this type of surgical intervention:
- According to Milligan-Morgan. In this case, after the physical removal of the node, the edges of the remaining wound are not stitched. That is, they heal in the clear.
- According to Ferguson. In this case, the surgical procedure involves the step of suturing the edges of the wound. This is reflected both in the postoperative condition of the patient and in the time of healing and rehabilitation.
Despite the method of surgical treatment used, both procedures are painful and traumatic in the postoperative period. Therefore, compliance with all the recommendations of the attending physician is the key to recovery and the absence of complications.
As already mentioned, one of the points of mandatory actions after surgery is to follow a diet. The implementation of this recommendation will help to accelerate the healing and normalization of the patient's condition.
The Importance of Dieting
Depending on the type of intervention used, the timing of recovery will also vary, and therefore the timing of compliance with the so-called “sparing regimen”. For the Milligan-Morgan operation it is 1.5-2 months, for Fergusson it is about a month.
The main tasks of proper nutrition during this period are as follows:
- supplying the body with all the necessary substances, both for life and for the speedy regeneration of tissues affected by hemorrhoidectomy,
- Prevention of hanging blood pressure, especially in the pelvic area,
- counteracting conditions such as increased gas and constipation.
Otherwise, the consequences of an improperly prepared diet can be:
- bleeding from operated blood vessels,
- seams or tears in scars
- secondary infection.
Also, it would be logical to say that if you eat improperly, the probability of developing flatulence and constipation increases sharply. And this is fraught with an increase in the rehabilitation period and trauma to unhealed tissues with all the ensuing consequences.
The foundation of good nutrition
The foods that make up the diet after hemorrhoids must meet the following important requirements:
- Do not irritate the walls of the rectum, especially on the operated area.That is, various kinds of marinades, smoked products, hot spices and spices should be excluded from the diet.
- To soften feces. Solid feces can irritate the walls of the rectum and the problem area. In addition, it is desirable that the food promotes peristalsis of the stomach, that is, has a mild laxative effect.
- Do not lead to gas formation and the formation of a large amount of feces.
- Promote tissue regeneration.
Irritating effect on the intestines, and the rectum in particular, has bile, which is released in large quantities when eating fatty and fried foods. That is why the main methods of cooking write in the postoperative period should be cooking, steaming and stewing.
In addition, it is worth excluding fatty varieties of meat, poultry and fish from the diet.
One of the important principles of such a thing as a diet after hemorrhoidectomy, is the fractionality of nutrition. To avoid overloading the gastrointestinal tract, as well as overeating, you need to eat 5-6 times a day, consuming small portions. You can eat less often, such a scheme is preferable.
The totality of these rules must be respected until the end of the rehabilitation period. This will not only promote healing and the absence of complications, but also reduce the risk of developing new foci of the disease.
As you know, before surgery, the patient must completely clear the intestines, and the rectum in particular, from any bowel movements and traces of digestion. This is done with the help of laxatives or enemas.
If this is not done, then the chance of developing inflammatory processes and suppuration in the operated areas sharply increases after the procedure.
The first day after hemorrhoidectomy, the patient is categorically not recommended, in order to avoid the formation of fecal masses and getting them into the rectum, which naturally can lead to the above inflammation and suppuration.
In addition, such a "hunger strike" avoids the appearance of excessive pressure in the venous vessels of the anal region, due to the absence of straining.
This will allow the wounds to heal faster, which naturally reduces the risk of secondary infection and reopening of the wounds. On this day only juices and other liquids are allowed.
But it should be remembered that this mode is not recommended for a long time. This may lead to the opposite result. Solid feces begin to form.
Dietary nutrition itself begins from the second day after removal of hemorrhoidal nodes, if it was not customary to extend the “hunger strike” for another day.
And here the question arises: what can I eat after surgery for hemorrhoids at this time, so as not to harm the wounds?
In the first week, the diet should include the following products:
- low-fat varieties of meat or fish (possibly poultry),
- vegetable broths, as well as light soups prepared on their basis,
- cereals cooked on water (the thinner the better),
- dairy products with low fat content.
One of the main rules in this and the following time is the balance of the menu: the patient should consume a sufficient amount of proteins, fats and carbohydrates. Otherwise, a deficiency of one of the components will lead to an increase in rehabilitation time or the appearance of complications.
After a week, you can add more varied dishes to the menu, such as vegetable stew or baked fruits. But you need to eat everything also fractionally.
Allowed and Prohibited Products
A month after surgery, the main motto of the diet should be the word "balance". Proteins of animal origin and vegetable carbohydrates are the basis of the diet after hemorrhoids, or rather its removal.
Among the permitted products in the postoperative period are:
- pearl barley,
- wholemeal bread with bran,
- low fat dairy products,
- apples (if peeled, then baked),
- beets, carrots, cucumbers,
- poultry (it is advisable to limit yourself to chicken, otherwise you need to choose lean meat),
- lean meats, as well as fish that meet the same condition,
- dried fruits (dried apricots, prunes).
To prevent constipation, it is necessary to introduce a diet of enough fiber-rich foods (fruits and vegetables).
However, some people suffer intolerance to such substances, the result of their use is increased gas formation and other digestive disorders. That is a completely opposite picture.
In these cases, bran or microcellulose, which can be freely purchased at pharmacies, will be an excellent substitute. They need to be consumed by adding to soups, cereals (1 tablespoon per day will be sufficient).
Nutrition after surgery has another important nuance: maintaining the body's water balance. The fact is that this helps to soften fecal matter.
The most useful in quality are:
- weak (weak) green tea,
- herbal decoctions or herbal tea,
- stewed fruit prepared from the above dried fruits,
- mineral water, naturally without gas,
- filtered water.
The list of prohibited products during rehabilitation after hemorrhoidectomy includes the following items:
- White cabbage,
- whole milk,
- fresh apples with peel,
- turnip and radish,
- hot pepper
- carbonated drinks,
- chocolate and other cocoa products,
- mushrooms in any form,
- fatty fish and meat,
- poultry with fatty meat (geese, ducks),
- confectionery and pastry products,
- alcohol products.
Upon returning to “normal” junk food after the end of the rehabilitation period, the likelihood of a relapse of the pathology and the formation of new foci of the disease sharply increases. Of course, you can sometimes make indulgences, but they should not be delayed and take a systematic character.
It is advisable to adhere to the principles of a healthy diet and further - in addition to the prevention of hemorrhoids, this will be a great help in the prevention of other gastrointestinal diseases and problems with other organs.
Hemorrhoidectomy is a rather traumatic procedure, therefore, compliance with all the recommendations of the attending physician in the postoperative period is the key to normal healing and the absence of complications.
And an important part of these rules is nutrition after removal of hemorrhoids. It is necessary to observe the principle of fractional nutrition and not overeat. But the main thing is to use products exclusively authorized by the doctor - this will speed up recovery.
Otherwise, the likelihood of complications caused by digestive problems and increased venous pressure increases sharply. Moreover, the diet prescribed after removal of hemorrhoids has a general healing effect on the body
However, do not rely solely on diet. Proper physical activity will contribute to recovery. And after rehabilitation, a regular visit to a proctologist for preventive purposes should become the norm.