A person has a cardiac sphincter between the esophagus and the stomach. His task is to prevent the return of food from the stomach back into the esophagus. If it does not function well enough, not only partially digested food can enter the esophagus, but along with it bile and gastric juice. All this provokes gastroesophageal reflux disease.
This disease manifests itself in insufficient closure of the sphincter. As a result, the contents of the stomach can not remain inside the cavity of this organ. The lack of the necessary tone in this zone leads to gastroesophageal reflux disease. The ingestion of gastric juice in the region of the esophagus provokes the development of damage to the esophageal mucosa, at the opening leading to the stomach, ulcers may appear. All this leads to precancerous conditions (intestinal metaplasia or Barrett's esophagus).
Causes of the disease
Cardiac failure may occur due to the action of a variety of factors:
- malnutrition, overeating,
- diseases of the stomach, in particular, gastritis, ulcers, tumors, hypertonia of the muscles of the stomach),
- meal before bed
- low mobility
- hiatal hernia,
- spur of the gatekeeper,
- increased abdominal pressure that occurs during pregnancy, ascites,
- increased pressure in the stomach
- operations involving resection of the sphincter.
Intra-abdominal pressure may develop due to heavy physical labor, heavy loads. Hernia of the esophageal opening of the diaphragm appears from overwork. This can also provoke a failure of the cardia.
Signs of disease
The level of development of pathology is diagnosed by the endoscopic method. There are several degrees of the disease.
- First degree Movable cardia does not close completely. At the same time, an open gap should not be more than 1/3 of the total diameter during deep breathing. Among the external manifestations - frequent belching air.
- Second degree The cardiac sphincter only closes in half. The gaping may even be slightly larger. Belching becomes painful and very frequent. Occasionally, gastric mucosal prolapse develops.
- Third degree The cardiac sphincter does not close at all. In the presence of signs of esophagitis.
The main symptoms in mild cardia include the following:
- heartburn that occurs at different periods regarding food intake,
- burning pains that spread behind the sternum, where the esophagus passes,
- frequent belching with air, as well as with what is in the stomach (if belching is acidic, it means that it contains only the contents of the stomach, if there is a bitter taste, it means bile has been added),
- nausea, which often ends in vomiting,
- esophagitis, appearing due to irritation of the mucous membrane, gives abdominal pain, a murmur is observed in the intestine,
- weakness, dizziness, fatigue.
Treatment and Prevention
Treatment can go in several directions. First of all, it is necessary to treat the underlying disease, which led to the failure of the cardia. It is advisable to follow a diet, do weight loss with obesity. If the cause was ascites, you should try to reduce intra-abdominal pressure.
The insufficiency of the cardiac sphincter at the first stage requires a properly organized diet. Eating should be regularly, several times a day. One portion of the volume should be small. It is necessary to eat according to the schedule, the time of eating should day by day be the same. After eating it is forbidden to lie down for two hours. Walking and sitting is allowed.
The diet is preferably built from soups, semi-liquid kasha, homogenized products. In order not to further irritate the esophageal mucosa, exclude from food all products that can thermally or chemically aggressively act on the esophagus. They also do not accept coarse food in order not to mechanically damage the inflamed mucosa.
Cold and hot is forbidden completely. They drink plain water before eating. Then you should try to focus on vegetables and fruits in nutrition. Banned chocolate, you can not drink alcohol, eat fried, fatty, pickled, salted, smoked. Condiments are also excluded.
Dine no less than 3 hours before bedtime. Even better, in 4 hours. Correction of the state is in compliance with certain rules of behavior:
- tight, tight clothes are not worn,
- belts and belts do not tighten tightly,
- bend less often
- exercise limits,
- sleep in an elevated position (so that the head and upper half of the body were higher in level than the lower part),
- if the work is physically difficult, chemically dangerous, implies inclinations, it must be changed.
The motor activity of the lower esophageal sphincter is regulated by medication. Domperidone, metoclopramide show a high performance in the correction of this state. Preparations with the active substance metoclopramide:
These drugs are taken three times a day. Dose - 10 mg. In severe cases, take four times a day. If the drug is administered intramuscularly, take a dose of 2 ml. Intravenous also injected at 2 ml, do it 2 times a day.
Domperidone has its own characteristics of use. The standard dose - 0, 01. Frequency - three times a day. Take it to food, if the condition is severe, the dose is doubled.
Propulsid (cisapride) is a drug used to regulate gastro-esophageal reflux. The dose of the drug from 5 mg to 10 mg. Take it twice or thrice a day. There is a form of candles, which is also relevant for the treatment of cardia failure. In this case, you need a dose of 30 mg per day. It can be combined with other methods of treatment. You can only take this tool.
Treatment must begin in a timely manner. This disease is very insidious. In the body there are serious consequences, expressed in peptic ulcers, gastroesophageal bleeding.
Video material for the most curious - cardia achalasia:
Tell your friends! Tell about this article to your friends in your favorite social network using social buttons. Thank!
Loss of appetite - a signal of failures in the body
In order for a person to receive a sufficient amount of substances important for health and to lead a full life, he needs to eat right. However, it happens that the individual ceases to feel the need for food. Sometimes in such a situation, all products are rejected and provoke discomfort, deterioration of health. In this case, it is important to seek medical help on time. Lack of appetite causes are different. Pathology of the gastrointestinal tract, nervous system, endocrine glands, viruses, neoplasms can cause such a symptom. Sometimes the loss of craving for food is accompanied by weakness, gagging.
What does a person's weight depend on?
The weight of a person depends on many reasons, and can decrease or increase in different periods in life. The amount of weight is influenced by such factors as the level of physical activity, the nature of nutrition and the ability to digest food, age, and hormonal status and metabolism.
From time to time, dieting and even slightly losing weight is even beneficial, since the diet restores metabolic processes, improves the work of the gastrointestinal tract, skin color and so on.But with neuroses, the idea of losing weight becomes obsessive, and patients lose weight so that irreversible processes can occur (anorexia).
Weight loss with neurosis
Neurotic disorder or neurosis is a reversible condition that is characterized by mental impairment and a protracted course. Neurosis can be caused by unresolved conflicts, a confluence of circumstances, prolonged psycho-emotional injuries, and simply mental or physical overstrain. Doctors are united in one thing - how many neurosis, so many different reasons for its appearance and the clinical picture of the disease.
In addition to the causes of neurosis, there are many risk factors, the combination of which in many respects contributes to the appearance of neurotic states. In addition to psychological factors (living conditions in childhood, upbringing, character traits, relationships with society), there are also biological factors, which mainly include the lack of development of the human neurophysiological system. Functional failure of the system can make patients unprotected before certain psychological effects and lead to neurosis.
Weight loss with neurosis is one of the signs of the manifestation of the disease and refers to physical symptoms. In addition, physical symptoms include pain of a different nature, fatigue, ataxia, darkening of the eyes, anorexia, sleep, palpitations, weakness.
Neurosis has an impact on the psyche of a sick person, and he begins to strictly adhere to all sorts of diets (if the appetite is preserved) or not at all because there is no feeling of hunger. In some cases, there is intolerance to some particular food, aversion to odors, headaches and nausea at the sight of food.
Other conditions, such as gastrointestinal tract diseases (gastric ulcer, gastritis, peptic ulcer, irritable bowel syndrome) may also be the cause of this condition. Therefore, for the differential diagnosis of neurosis when the above symptoms appear, you should immediately consult a doctor.
Early diagnosis will not only help in a timely manner to identify the cause of this condition, but also to begin treatment. The fact is that with a prolonged neurosis and the absence of treatment, the symptoms can be aggravated by the fact that the first signs of anorexia or a complete aversion to food, which is very difficult to be treated, will appear and people remain disabled for the rest of their lives.
Anorexia is accompanied by atrophy of many organs and disruption of all body systems. Patients lose weight dramatically, and they eat practically only juices and a small amount of food in a shabby and shabby form.
How to treat neurosis and fill the weight deficit?
Many can not determine the borderline between the painful neurosis and the desire to improve your body with the help of medical fasting. How to determine when to contact a psychotherapist and whether you need to contact him at all? This question can be answered by answering the questions:
If you answered positively to all the answers, you should consult a doctor immediately. The sooner you reveal signs of neurosis, the better.
Weight loss during neurosis is not the main symptom, and neurosis has to be treated as a complex, since the main cause of weight deficit is psychological problems and mental disorders. Treatment must be supervised by a psychotherapist, and if there is such an opportunity, it is better to do this in the hospital under the supervision of several specialists.
Treatment of the underlying disease includes the following measures:
In addition to treating the underlying cause of such a condition, it is necessary to comply with additional measures, which include:
General measures that imply general actions. Patients need to take high-calorie food in small portions, several times a day, preferably with large amounts of carbohydrates and unsaturated fatty acids.
Exercise and short exercise in the open air, which improves appetite and arouses interest in food. Here it is important not to overdo it, since overloading can cause a backlash.
Ultraviolet radiation - you can just sunbathe for a short time in the sun, and you can use the solarium. The formation of a small insolation of vitamin D under the skin helps to restore calcium in the body and prevent bone fragility.
What does the lack of appetite, nausea and weakness?
In order to compensate for the lack of all trace elements in the body, a person must eat correctly and efficiently. In the event that there is no appetite, and the food itself causes rejection and a lot of other unpleasant sensations, it means that a person needs help. Lack of appetite can be caused by a host of causes, including not only diseases and pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract. Few people know, but on nerves it can happen. In what situations lack of appetite is accompanied by nausea and weakness, we find out further.
In order to understand what is looking for the cause, it is necessary to make out the specifics all symptoms present:
- Lack of appetite - that the person would do well to eat, signals the brain, the neural endings of which send a signal to the digestive organs, forcing the person to think about food. As a result, gastric juice is gradually produced, and the level of insulin in the blood increases. If there is no appetite, it means that the brain is busy with completely different, more important at the moment, affairs. It can also be supported by diseases of the digestive tract, as a result of the progression of which, lack of appetite arises as a natural defense reaction.
- Nausea - this process is also quite physiological, it is necessary in order to release the contents of the stomach in critical situations. This symptom is extremely important in the diagnosis, because in combination with other symptoms allows you to make a more accurate diagnosis.
- Weakness is a condition known to all, especially to those people who have to work hard and hard. A person with particular difficulty manages to perform familiar activities, while feeling an increased load and fast fatigue.
Nausea, weakness and lack of appetite, perhaps the most common symptoms with which both adult and child are familiar. What prerequisites can influence the appearance of a similar clinical picture?
If you systematize all the possible causes that can cause weakness with nausea and a complete lack of appetite, then they can be divided into two large groups: pathological and non-pathological.
These reasons nothing to do with the presence of disease. They occur when external pathogenic factors affect the body, or occur as a natural process. Their main feature is as follows:
This category of reasons includes:
- Menstruation and premenstrual syndrome - during hormonal adjustment and preparation for fertilization, the woman's body is literally subject to the actions of hormones.Sudden jumps of progesterone and estrogen, to which the body adjusts gradually, can provoke nausea, weakness, and loss of appetite. When the cycle ends and a new one begins, a woman may also experience headaches and cramps in her stomach, which is a completely natural process that does not require intervention.
- Overeating, especially at night - when during the day a person did not have the opportunity to fully eat, and meals were reduced to the maximum fast food, then coming home, where a delicious dinner awaits, it is difficult to control yourself. As a result, all day the digestive tract organs did not have a load, and in the evening, when, in fact, the body and all its systems are getting ready for sleep and slow down their life support processes, the food eaten can cause poor sleep. Eating heavy meals before bedtime leads to nausea, which indicates the inability of the pancreas to produce the right amount of enzymes. Especially acute symptoms manifest in the morning, when nausea can continue vomiting, which would entail weakness and lack of appetite.
- Long-term starvation - the unauthorized refusal of food, allegedly in order to lose extra pounds, can cause nausea and weakness. The fact is that if food does not enter the stomach for a long time, the secretion produced adversely affects the mucous membranes, causing irritation. Sometimes nausea occurs immediately after a person has a strong feeling of hunger. Lack of food reduces performance and also provokes weakness.
- Chronic fatigue syndrome - occurs in people who are constantly experiencing fatigue and fatigue. This condition is typical for people who work seven days a week, and the number of working hours is more than rest. Workaholism is commendable, but affects health. Lack of proper sleep affects the nervous system and the brain, which can give the wrong commands to the whole body.
Associated with the presence of the disease in the body. In most cases, medical treatment is required to eliminate. This group includes the following reasons:
Also a decrease and a complete lack of appetite, weakness and nausea, inherent to the following categories of population:
Among the most rare diseases that talk about their existence, by provoking nausea, lack of appetite and weakness, are:
When do you need medical help?
Only 3% of all patients who report persistent nausea, weakness and loss of appetite, seek medical help. The majority of conscious patients are ready to give thousands for a “pill for all diseases” recommended by a kind aunt from a pharmacy.
Will consider a series of situations where medical care is really urgent:
What actions can I take?
If nausea, lack of appetite and weakness can be compared with the prerequisites (overeating, poisoning, PMS), and the general condition of the patient does not cause concern can resort to such actions as:
Of course, the main reason is connected with the wrong diet, so you can reduce the manifestation of unpleasant symptoms and completely remove them with the help of such recommendations:
Thus, the unpleasant symptoms of nausea and loss of appetite can be associated with more than a hundred diseases, different in their focus. This fact indicates that if the symptoms do not go away on their own, and the clinical picture is supplemented with new manifestations, then it is imperative that you seek medical help.
If you have at least 2 of these symptoms, then this indicates a developing gastritis or ulcers. These diseases are dangerous by the development of serious complications (penetration, gastric bleeding, etc.), many of which can lead to a LETAL outcome. Treatment must begin now. Read an article about how a woman got rid of these symptoms by defeating their underlying cause. Read the material.
If you have at least 2 of these symptoms, then this indicates a developing gastritis or ulcers. These diseases are dangerous by the development of serious complications (penetration, gastric bleeding, etc.), many of which can lead to a LETAL outcome. Treatment must begin now. Read an article about how a woman got rid of these symptoms by defeating their root cause with a natural method. Read the material.
Nausea and other symptoms of neurosis
Entering into the rhythm of modern life, especially in megacities, people are in a constant state of stress. Nausea in neurosis, the symptoms of which are not always clearly defined, is a serious signal of the development of neurotic states. When a person begins to experience severe fatigue, enters into conflict situations in which he is allegedly unwillingly, feels drowsiness, decreased performance, weakened immunity, increased anxiety, there is reason to suspect him of neurosis. normal state of any person. But not always we can handle everything on our own. There are such loads on the psyche of people who cannot even be overcome by a specialist in this field.
Neurotic conditions, or neurosis, it is considered to be a mental disorder of man. Neurosis does not occur by itself. Usually it is preceded by numerous numerous stressful conditions, protracted phobias, childhood fears, the experience of catastrophes, accidents, the loss of loved ones. Neurosis is peculiar to both children and adults.
The symptoms of neurosis are represented by a wide range of states, we list the most typical of them:
If you notice at least some of these symptoms, you should seek help from specialists to prevent this condition from developing. Many people suffer from neurosis over the years, irritating others, losing families, destroying the microclimate in work teams, provoking themselves, above all, numerous comorbidities.
Neuroses are the most susceptible children, especially suspicious, anxious, deprived of parental attention, or, conversely, raised in families with excessive parental care.
The strength of neurotic states is determined by their symptoms. Of course, when a person experiences nausea during neurosis, sometimes even sudden vomiting, this already indicates that the neurosis affects the vegetative system, disrupting the work of the brain centers responsible for vomiting function.
It should be noted that nausea is one of the symptoms of neurosis. Some mistakenly believe that nausea is a consequence of poor-quality nutrition. With neurosis, nausea can last several days in a row, causing even emetic reactions. Many people unknowingly seek help from a gastroenterologist, and the doctor, having found no evidence of “his” diseases, often shrugs off the patient or prescribes inappropriate treatment, which only aggravates the illness.
Unfortunately, drug treatment is ineffective in the fight against neurosis. Psychotherapeutic sessions should be obligatory for such a patient. A psychotherapist with the help of certain techniques will help the patient to get out of the neurotic state and start a new life. At a consultation with a psychotherapist, the patient will be helped to get rid of obsessive states by reviewing the events of his life, his attitude towards him and the surrounding space, “supplying” external stimuli.
Features of neurosis that the patient is aware of his condition, makes an independent decision to deal with it. This is a very important aspect to overcome the disease. Unfortunately, not all patients with neurosis are in a hurry to seek help from a doctor.Often people do not pay attention to their condition. But the neurotic state in these periods is only aggravated. A person gradually gets used to his symptoms, ignoring them, and then a slight stimulus is enough to cause a fire.
It is necessary to treat neurosis on the basis of its cause. Remove external stimulus is not so easy. Although very often there are a number of circumstances that we cannot influence. For example, the labor collective suffers an inadequate boss who doesn’t feel guilty for anything and at the same time is quite happy with the higher management. In such cases, in order to preserve your own health, it is better to try to change jobs by choosing the option of avoiding this irritant.
Often, neuroses provoke diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and cardiovascular system. Such neuroses are considered to affect the vegetative system. Their treatment should be taken much more seriously. In such cases, psychiatrists prescribe complex treatment with the use of sedatives, antidepressants, microelements.
The most difficult in the treatment of neurosis is a strong depletion of the nervous system, which can trigger the launch mechanisms of autoimmune diseases.
Unfortunately, many people suffering from neurosis, in no hurry to consult a doctor who can provide real help and prescribe effective treatment. These people go for help to psychics, whose actions lead to even greater health problems and deprive the last person who has applied.
It happens and professional predisposition to neurosis. Some professions require a person to be in the daily noise and grinding of machines and production devices. Such people usually suffer from headaches, hearing disorders. There are a number of recommendatory measures for a person to leave a neurosis. Some of them just need to know everyone who does not even suffer from this disease:
- try not to accumulate negative energy, to give timely discharge, for everyone this is a purely individual procedure - someone knits, draws, someone plays sports,
- do not keep your feelings, share verbally with close people,
- work and free time should be strictly balanced, after the end of the working day, you need to set yourself up for immediate switching and abstraction from work problems, postponing them the next day,
- to get enough sleep, this is one of the main points of treatment for any ailments, it is a proper sleep that is able to restore health.
Nowadays, it is worth paying close attention and questioning any information that penetrates our consciousness from outside. The world community constantly, from generation to generation, transmits a lot of information, fixed in the minds of many people for a long time. To refute or confirm some scientific facts often try people who do not have a proper education, but who undertake to judge with the kind of specialist exactly medical knowledge and practices. About the human psyche, there are too many myths that, unfortunately, entrenched in people's minds, form complexes that prevent a person from accepting his illness and begin to deal with him with the help of a specialist.
Here are some of the myths that are prevalent among the people about neurosis.
Neurosis occurs only in a certain type of people with an unstable psyche. This is not true. Neurosis can occur in any person. And factors can be any external stimuli, especially for residents of big cities.
With neurosis, only the human psyche suffers. Unfortunately, this is not the case. With neuroses, both the psyche and the whole system of the human body suffer.
Neuroses are treated in psychiatric institutions with the use of antipsychotic drugs. Far from it.Neurosis can be cured on an outpatient basis with conventional drugs and folk remedies - this will be effective without relapses.
People suffering from neurosis remain patients of the psychiatrist for the rest of their lives. This is also not true. Neuroses are treated effectively with modern medicine, people, having got rid of them, begin a new life, finding peace and stability for many years.
A good appetite is a sign of health and strength. Lack of desire to eat is found in almost all diseases. This symptom speaks about the problems of a nervous nature, and somatic diseases. What are the causes of reduced appetite and how to treat this condition?
To reduce appetite can lead such diseases:
- stomatitis, gingivitis, caries,
- otitis in children up to 3 years,
- gastritis, gastroduodenitis, peptic ulcer,
- viral, toxic, autoimmune hepatitis,
- rheumatism, systemic lupus erythematosus,
- enteritis, enterocolitis, colitis,
- bronchitis, sinusitis, pneumonia, respiratory viral infection,
- pyelonephritis, cystitis, prostatitis, urethritis,
- hypothyroidism, myxedema,
- depression, neurosis, anorexia,
- poisoning by alcohol, drugs, food, toxins,
- cancer of the stomach, breast, lung and other organs.
In some states, there is a desire to eat for natural reasons:
- The first trimester of pregnancy, which may be accompanied by toxicosis.
- In a hot climate. While there is a need for drinking.
- In the period of teething in infants.
Types of loss of appetite
Depending on how pronounced aversion to food, there are such types of pathology:
- complete lack of appetite
- slight decrease
- intolerance to certain products.
Specifying the duration of the symptom, the amount of food consumed, the presence of addictions to unusual food (raw meat, chalk) may give rise to the idea of a specific disease.
It is possible to find out the cause of the pathology by additional symptoms. These include:
- Discomfort and pain immediately after swallowing food. This symptom speaks in favor of inflammation of the esophagus. It leads to the fact that a person at the subconscious level refuses to eat in order to avoid pain.
- Pain in the upper abdomen, belching, heartburn, bitter taste in the mouth, vomiting. In such cases, you should think about diseases of the stomach and duodenum, gastroesophageal reflux disease.
- Fever, chills, nausea, weakness, headache. These signs accompany acute (or exacerbation of chronic) infections of the respiratory, urinary, and other systems. During the height of the disease, a person can completely avoid eating and drinking. After eliminating the infectious agent, appetite is restored within a few days, maximum weeks.
- Decreased memory, apathy, constipation, weight gain, menstrual disorders. These symptoms accompany thyroid disease, which reduces the production of thyroid hormones.
- Depressed mood, lack of desire to communicate, isolation, sleep disturbance. In diseases of the nervous system, other symptoms may appear. Their severity depends on the nature and temperament of each person. Anorexia nervosa nervosa is considered to be the most dangerous disease, which leads to exhaustion and is difficult to treat.
- Sharp weight loss, pale skin, weakness, temperature rises to subfebrile numbers. Older age, the presence of tumors in the past, precancerous diseases (atrophic gastritis, endometriosis) can also push the search for a tumor. Aversion from meat food is a characteristic sign of a malignant neoplasm.
To diagnose the state of the digestive system using these methods:
- General blood analysis.
- Hepatic tests (total bilirubin, ALT, AST, thymol test).
- Lipidogram - total cholesterol, LDL, HDL.
- The level of amylase, total blood protein.
- Coagulogram - PTI, fibrinogen, INR.
- Hepatitis markers A, B, C, D.
- Ultrasound of the liver, gallbladder, pancreas.
- CT, MSCT, MRI.
A study of thyroid function includes:
- hormone levels T3, T4, TSH,
- Thyroid ultrasound,
- puncture nodes.
When infections occur, the following tests are used:
- Smear of pharynx and nose.
- X-ray of the paranasal sinuses, chest organs.
- Bacteriological examination of feces with suspected intestinal infection.
- Blood tests for C-reactive protein, seromucoids, interferons, ESR - for the diagnosis of connective tissue diseases.
Prolonged refusal to eat can lead to the following complications:
- Ion deficiency, vitamins.
- Irreversible dystrophy of internal organs.
The treatment of conditions involving loss or loss of appetite differs radically depending on the disease that caused the onset of this symptom.
In healthy children, appetite can be stimulated by an interesting design of dishes, a variety of filling the diet, the use of game moments during feeding.
Nausea during pregnancy is not recommended to treat (all drugs are limited). Only with severe indomitable vomiting and lack of appetite may hospitalization and treatment be necessary.
If the appetite does not return within 1-2 days for no apparent reason, you should seek the advice of a specialist. The symptom may indicate both a physiological process and a serious illness. Take care of your health!
Was the page helpful? Share it in your favorite social network!
Causes of Lack of Appetite
There is no doubt that the well-known fact that the presence of appetite is a sign of good health. Appetite occurs when the body needs to eat. The presence of appetite is directly related to the functioning of the food center, which is located in the cerebral hemispheres and the hypothalamus. However, this complex, but necessary physiological mechanism is manifested in the proper measure not in every person.
Why do you lose your appetite?
The reasons for the lack of appetite in people can be very different. Much depends on the habit of eating food, vaccinated person from early childhood, tradition, age. For example, older people consume significantly less food than young people. Sometimes there is a reluctance to eat in the usual volume. Some suddenly have a violation of taste preferences for a certain group of products. Until the performance is reduced, do not torment constipation and body weight does not fall, you should not worry too much. However, if a person severely restricts himself in the use of food, a complete lack of appetite may develop, often leading to a terrible disease - anorexia.Among the main reasons for the absence or loss of appetite, doctors distinguish the following: intoxication of the body, pain in the gastrointestinal tract, endocrine disorders and neuropsychiatric disorders.
Intoxication of the body
During intoxication, all the forces of the body are aimed at the removal of chemical, toxic, toxic substances and other decomposition products. It is natural that in this case, the appetite decreases or disappears. Poisoning with poor-quality food, alcohol, drugs, carbon monoxide and various chemical compounds can lead to intoxication of the body. Also, the food center can block the appetite in the fight against the body against infectious hepatitis, kidney disease, colds and rheumatic diseases, especially during exacerbations.
Pain in the digestive organs
Lack of appetite for dyspeptic conditions (belching, heartburn, flatulence, nausea, vomiting) and pain in the gastrointestinal tract is associated with a reflex fear of eating. Such manifestations can occur in gastritis, gastroduodenitis, colitis, reflux esophagitis, gastric and duodenal ulcers, chronic enteritis, pancreatitis. With pain, the body is not up to appetite. In these cases, the only salvation - a diet that implies enveloping gentle nutrition.
The most common endocrine disorder is hypothyroidism - a decrease in thyroid function. In this disease, not only the appetite disappears, but also the general vitality decreases, drowsiness, and rapid fatigue appear. Moreover, such a state is characterized by a gradual period of development. Lack of desire for food intake can last for quite a long time. In addition, due to the restructuring of the body's metabolism, a violation of taste and loss of appetite are characteristic phenomena in cancer.
Why at various illnesses appetite vanishes?
The need for food is a natural mechanism, which is explained by physiological reasons. The brain of a healthy individual gives signals to the organs of the gastrointestinal tract, and they produce certain substances that cause a person to experience food cravings. If there is a lack of appetite, it means that the nervous system is engaged in solving other, more significant problems. This condition is often accompanied by pathologies of the stomach and intestines. At the same time, the loss of interest in food is a mechanism for protecting the human body from undesirable effects. When an individual refuses to eat, a symptom such as nausea is often observed. This process can be called quite natural. It helps to relieve the stomach from food in the situation when it is necessary. Nausea is a symptom that the doctor pays attention to when making a diagnosis.
A feeling of weakness is also a common ailment. Anyone has come across him at least once in his life, especially during a period of intensive work. Performing the usual work, the individual feels very tired, quickly becomes exhausted. Lack of appetite, nausea, weakness - signs characteristic of both adults and minors. The reasons for this symptom can be explained in the following sections of the article.
Emotional disorders are perhaps the most common cause of lack or decrease in appetite. One of the most common neuropsychiatric disorders is depression. In the depressed state, any food does not give a person pleasure, it seems fresh, tasteless. It happens that even the smell of food causes nausea and vomiting in a patient. When depression is felt heaviness in the stomach, there is a feeling of overflow and rapid satiety.Often you have to force a person to forcibly take food.
Well, such a severe neuropsychic disorder associated with loss of appetite, like anorexia, requires the intervention of a psychotherapist. The basis of this disease, which affects mostly young girls, is an irresistible desire to lose weight, and by any means. As a result, a persistent aversion to food is formed, in which appetite is out of the question.
If the causes of lack of appetite are not associated with any disease or other pathological abnormalities in the body, then you can increase the desire to eat with the help of sports activities, or simply frequent walks in the fresh air. Appetite-stimulating properties have freshly prepared juices from lemons, oranges, tangerines, grapefruits. Have a good appetite!
What is nervous overeating?
This is the use of food as a tonic or relaxing agent. Overeating is our attempt to feed the senses, not the stomach.
If food has become the main tool for solving all life problems, if you are drawn to the refrigerator every time you feel tired, anxious, lonely, angry, or fearful, you have definitely entered into a vicious circle of eating disorders.
Emotional hunger can not be satisfied with food. Overeating only adds to worry about excess calories and lack of willpower. If you do not learn how to properly respond to your own emotions, you risk finally losing control over them and your weight.
It is very important to understand that absolutely everyone experiences hunger. And this is a normal process. Hunger does not need to be afraid, it is just a signal that our body needs energy. But, “normal” is only in the case when it comes to physical hunger.
What is the difference between physical hunger and nerve hunger?
This is an important question. Learning to distinguish between them is the first step to solving the problem of overeating.
It is not always easy to do, nervous hunger can be so strong that it can be easily confused with physical hunger.
Let's make a distinction:
- Nervous hunger comes unexpectedly. Physical hunger comes gradually and usually does not require immediate satisfaction.
- Nervous hunger requires special food. Physical hunger does not choose. Nervous hunger asks for fat and sweet. Physical hunger agrees on more healthy foods.
- Quenching your nervous hunger, you lose control over what you ate and how much. When quenching physical hunger this usually does not happen.
- Nervous hunger does not feel full with full stomach. You continue to eat until you feel overwhelmed with food. Physical hunger is usually directly related to the filling of the stomach.
- Nervous hunger occurs in the head, it can cause certain tastes, smells or situations. Physical hunger is manifested by unpleasant sensations in the stomach, weakness, suction under the spoon.
- Nervous hunger provokes feelings of regret, guilt or shame due to the absorption of food. When quenching physical hunger such problems do not arise, because you just give the body what it needs.
Having dealt with the symptoms, let's define ways to help control nervous overeating.
Nervous overeating: control the situation
Step 1. Identify the causes that trigger nervous overeating
There are many causes of overeating. You must determine which situations or feelings make you look for comfort in your food. Do not forget that overeating can provoke not only unpleasant feelings, but a number of positive emotions (the desire to encourage yourself for the work done or to celebrate any event).
Causes of nervous overeating:
Stress. When stress becomes permanent, which is typical of our fast world, it leads to an increase in cortisol levels in the blood.
It is cortisol that causes craving for salty, sweet or fatty foods, the consumption of which leads to a sharp burst of energy.
The more stress you have in your life, the greater the likelihood that you will begin to deal with them with food.
Suppression of emotions. Food can be a way to stifle unpleasant feelings such as anger, fear, sadness, anxiety, loneliness, or shame. Many are accustomed to using food as a household anti-depressant. I ate candy and it seemed to be easier, just for a short while. Do you want to prolong the feeling of relief, drag after the next ...
Boredom and sense of emptiness. Do you often eat “nothing to do” or to cope with boredom and fill the void? In this case, the food helps you drown out feelings of aimlessness and dissatisfaction with life.
Children's habits and memories. Remember the role food played for you as a child. Parents awarded you ice cream for good behavior, drove to a cafe for good grades, or gave you candy when you were bad?
You brought these eating habits into adulthood. Some of them can be caused by nostalgia - memories of how you and your mother baked cookies, or gathered with the whole family at the dinner table. You strive to relive these pleasant moments again and again, stimulating these pleasant experiences with food.
Perhaps, in the list of causes of overeating, you have already noted those that concern you.
Every time you feel an irresistible craving for food, try to understand the cause of the situation. Become a psychologist for yourself.
After that, it remains only to find a way to respond to your emotions without the help of food.
Step 2. Learn to satisfy emotions without food.
If you do not know how to cope with emotions without the help of food, your struggle with nervous overeating can be long and fruitless.
To stop nervous overeating, you need to find another alternative to eating, a way to satisfy emotions. For example:
- If you feel depressed or lonely, call a friend, play with a pet, look at your favorite photos, chat in social networks. In other words, find any way you can contact other people right now.
- if you are agitated, direct energy into physical activity, take a deep breath, perform wide sweeping movements with your hands and feet, do the cleaning finally.
- if you're tired, cheer up with a cup of tea, a bath, or just wrap yourself in a warm blanket away from candy bowls and a fridge.
- if you are bored, read a book, watch a good comedy, take time for your hobby. Take any action to entertain yourself, otherwise the food will do it.
Step 3. Learn to stop
I know very well how difficult it is to resist the desire to start eating right now.
Having failed to cope with this psychological impulse once, a person begins to think that he has no willpower. But the truth is that you have much more power than you think.
Check for yourself, just gather all the will into a fist and wait 5 minutes.
If you can stop for a while and feel that you are under the influence of a psychological impulse, you will gain time to make another decision.
All you have to do is wait 5 minutes.
While waiting, think about your well-being. Try to determine what you really want, what emotions you are experiencing at the moment.
Step 4. In a healthy body healthy mind
When you feel good physically and emotionally, it is much easier for you to cope with impulses that encourage overeating.
But if you are tired or depressed, every little thing can drive you back to the refrigerator. Toning exercise and healthy sleep is an excellent prevention of overeating.
- Try to walk every day. Physical activity helps to relieve stress and improves mood.
- Sleep at least eight hours a day. If you spend less time sleeping, your body will require sweets to replenish energy stores. Adequate sleep will help control your appetite and reduce your obsessive desire to eat.
- Leave time to rest. Allocate at least 30 minutes a day to relax, take a break from duties, restore mental strength.
- Connect with positive people. By virtue of their characteristics, they generously share with others their cheerfulness, good mood and optimism.
Friends, I really hope that this article will help you to understand more deeply the mechanisms of development of nervous overeating.
I would be grateful if you share the article with your friends on social networks. You can do this by using the Share button below the comment form.
20 Mar 2014 Vitaliy Omelchenko Tags: psychology
“When they say that some people eat less under stress and others more than usual, the conclusion is: it means that they have different stress,” says Dmitry Voedilov, psychologist. - During a very strong stress associated with danger to life, when a person is preparing for extreme shocks, severe pain, etc., the need for food goes into the background. The body, even if very hungry, switches to a more important task - “escape!” For example, it’s useless to persuade a soldier to fight before a fight. Conversely, moderate stress, not associated with a threat to life, but constant, contributes to the voracity. Remember the phrase of one of the characters in the cartoon “Shrek-2”: “Everything, you upset me. I'll go eat two hamburgers. ” Recently, some researchers wondered: why are all sinners fat? Therefore, it turns out that they are under constant stress and are forced to eat in order to calm down.
Constant use of not very healthy food in itself can cause stress on the nervous system. These are mainly foods that contain little protein and vitamins, without which it cannot work normally (everything is greasy, cakes, pastries, salted foods, smoked foods). Do not flatter yourself that smoked sausage is a source of proteins, most likely a supplier of fats, salt and preservatives, and the meat in it can be replaced with starch and other additives.
“Noticing that the food is really soothing (the body remembers how it was good after eating the cake), the person resorts to this method again and again,” adds Andrei Konovalov, psychologist, psychotherapist. “And soon it enters an obsessive habit: even in the case of the slightest stress, a person attacks on food.” In psychology, this is called "positive consolidation." The same is used in animal training: the dog has executed the command - here's a sushka or sugar for you. And the more a person is not aware of his actions in a state of stress, the more he is inclined to reproduce these animal reactions.
Hormones and vitamins
In addition to the psychic, there are also “material” reasons forcing one to eat or not to eat. One of the main ones is the hormonal imbalance in the body. During a very strong sudden stress, a large dose of adrenaline is immediately released into the bloodstream - it also represses the appetite. But the constant, exhausting stress causes the adrenal glands to increase the release of another hormone - cortisol. By the way, you can measure it with a simple analysis of saliva. The more of it, the stronger the desire for a person to eat tightly.
Stress inflicts a crushing blow on the reserves of certain vitamins and trace elements.
“When a person is nervous, vitamins of group B (containing dairy and meat products) and C (black and red berries, sweet peppers, kiwi) are actively consumed,” explains Tamara Popova, a nutritionist of the highest category at the Central Research Institute of Gastroenterology. - The magnesium content is sharply reduced, and an overwhelming desire arises to eat foods that contain it, such as chocolate, nuts, and dried fruit.Therefore, even people who are not prone to overeating in hard times for themselves, sharply increase their consumption of sweets. It is better to replace harm with more useful mini snacks: grain or rye bread, cracker, spinach salad with pounded sunflower seeds. Stimulants such as tea and coffee should be avoided.
But it is much more effective to deal with the stress itself, and if it happened - to find relief not in food.
- If you do not remove the irritant - the cause of stress, then no diet will not help: a person will gain kilograms, - says Dmitry Voedilov. “After all, because of the long-term extreme work, the brain will need to be replenished all the time — glucose, which comes from carbohydrates and sweets.
Exercise, massage, new interesting occupation help to be discharged. “Give yourself a setup: out of stress, I’ll go beyond such and such a time,” says Andrei Konovalov, “and control the number of remaining days. Oddly enough, but this technique works. "
This is a frequent occurrence. Slight irritation, unpleasant memories, excitement when meeting with a friend. This is considered a light stress, which is removed without the control of the person and without the use of drugs (distraction to other topics or care).
But it is not always easy to escape from the negative moment. The human brain continues to scroll the situation, at the same time involving the owner in a stressful situation more and more. There comes not easy, but heightened tension.
Stress state of the body, selects more strength. Feeling weak, dizzy, loss of energy. A person is in such a state when he solves important tasks every day and makes responsible decisions. Such behavior is inherent in politicians, businessmen.
But such stress is not considered intrusive. Removal of increased stress will attract more resources of the body than with mild stress. But the special harm to health is not caused. A person should let go of the situation and let the brain relax, then everything will return to normal.
If one does not manage to abstract, and instead of calming the tension increases, obsessive thoughts may appear. Due to stress, the person is exhausted, the situation does not leave the brain, it is impossible to escape. There comes the next stage of nervous tension.
Strong tension with obsessive thoughts
There is a nervous exhaustion of the body until the appearance of unpleasant sensations inside, a depressive state, and neuroses. At this stage, a disorder of the digestive system is possible, the person becomes sick, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach ache.
Nervous tension in a child leads to a disorder of the nervous system, adversely affects the work of internal organs. Post-traumatic condition for children is even more dangerous. The task of parents is to detect the situation in time and eliminate its consequences.
Children, like adults, are accompanied by stress every day. In the children's body, he responds more actively. Signs of nervous tension in a baby:
- quick temper,
- muscle tension
- lack of active movements
- the child has a stomach ache, backache and pain in the head,
- unstable appetite
- bladder and intestinal dysfunction,
- lack of concentration, disturbed sleep, capriciousness, quickly tired.
In adolescents, symptoms of nervous tension are similar to those of an adult. Adolescence is peculiar to maximalism. The stressful situation is exaggerated and perceived as strongly as possible.
Causes of weight loss with nervous tension
Nerves affect the work of the whole organism, and the digestive system in particular. The functions of the internal organs are disrupted in an attempt to cope with stress. Causes of weight loss vary in adults and children.
Reasons for lack of appetite and weight loss:
- stress for any reason leads to overloads at the level of emotions, overwork,
- dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system against the background of emotional stress leads to disruption of the internal organs,
- the presence of neurosis and depression leads to spasmodic phenomena in the digestive tract, which in turn leads to a decrease in appetite,
- metabolism and hormone production also fails under the action of stress.
Each age of the child has its own reasons for weight loss associated with emotional stress:
- Infants and younger preschoolers are sensitive to the long absence of the mother, the nervous tension of the parents, the change in the rules of the daily routine.
- Older preschoolers: experiencing a campaign in a new kindergarten, new people, misunderstandings with parents, relationships with peers.
- In adolescents, the emotional background is elevated due to changes in the body itself, maturation.
Causes of stressful conditions:
- The second child appears in the family. The fragile psyche of the older child leads to negative results. He feels unnecessary, abandoned.
- In the case of moving to a new place of residence, respectively, changing the usual environment.
- Frequent parental quarrels or divorce.
- Negative information coming from television screens and from the Internet.
Effect of stress on appetite
The result of the impact on the body of stressful situations is a violation of the functions of the digestive organs, emotional exhaustion.
- The prolonged lack of desire to eat leads to parasomnia, perhaps even a complete lack of sleep.
- The female body responds to stress violation period of menstruation.
- A child's body and in adolescence, nervous tension is poured into vitamin deficiency, the protective function of infections is reduced, the musculoskeletal system is formed incorrectly, and the risk of viral and infectious diseases increases.
- With severe depression or neurosis, anorexia nervosa develops, which quickly depletes the body and leads to a sharp decrease in weight.
- Nervous tension is accompanied by pain syndromes throughout the body. Drowsiness, weakness, cramping, nauseous, especially in the morning. Against the background of a violation of the motor functions of the intestine, heaviness appears in the stomach after eating, a disorder.
How to gain weight
When stress is important - do not leave the body without the necessary substances and vitamins. In the human brain there is a center responsible for the feeling of hunger and satiety - the hypothalamus. He reacts to the level of glucose contained in the blood: low - you need to eat, high - no need to eat. When a lot of snacking is present in the diet, especially sweet, the body is deficient in the necessary micro and macro elements, which affects the state of health and causes discomfort in the abdominal region.
By following certain rules, you can cope with indigestion:
- Make a meal schedule. Food comes in 3 times a day and at certain hours.
- In the diet should be carbohydrates, fats and proteins - 50% -25% -25%, respectively.
- Sweets, chocolates and other sweet foods should be consumed no more than 100 grams between breakfast, lunch, dinner, dinner, not on an empty stomach. Make the use of these products minimal or refuse.
They contribute to restoring appetite against the background of depression, neurosis, and anorexia nervosa.
Prozac - a drug that increases the synthesis of serotonin (the hormone of happiness). The drug is sold in pharmacies freely available without a prescription. Often appointed neurologist adults and children. Helps to eliminate anxiety and panic conditions, eliminates the syndrome of obsessive thoughts, restores the menstrual cycle. Regular use of medication helps balance mental state and improves mood.
Glycine is a herbal preparation that contains an amino acid. Affects the processes in the cerebral cortex, normalizes chemical reactions. It is applied from the first birthday.
Persen, Novo-Passit, Deprime - antidepressants containing herbal ingredients, elevate mood, cope with poor appetite.
Why there is no appetite during stress
- Any disorder provokes nervous exhaustion, emotional overload, overwork.
- Under stress, the autonomic nervous system suffers, which controls the functioning of the internal organs.
- Neurosis and depression are a provoking factor of general tension, spasm of the gastrointestinal organs, which is manifested by loss of appetite and altered taste perception of food.
- Being subject to constant stress, metabolism and secretion of hormones changes.
- Low levels of leptin and estrogen, sudden changes in cortisol on the background of stress - one of the main causes of nervous loss of appetite.
What could be the consequences
Without treatment, the risk of rapid weight loss and nervous exhaustion is very high.
- Prolonged lack of appetite can result in sleep disturbance, insomnia.
- Frequent complication of nervous weight loss in women is a violation of the menstrual cycle.
- In childhood and adolescence, there is a high risk of vitamin deficiency, a sharp decline in immunity, impaired musculoskeletal system, susceptibility to colds and viral diseases.
- A dangerous consequence of neurosis and depression is anorexia nervosa with rapid weight loss before exhaustion.
- Accompanied by loss of appetite headache, severe drowsiness and weakness, pain in the muscles, arrhythmia, muscle spasms, impaired intestinal motility.
In any nervous breakdown, nutrition is an important factor for maintaining body functions.
Next, we will explain how to increase the appetite for mental pathologies.
How to restore an eating disorder
Appetite regulates the function of nutrients, proteins, fats and carbohydrates. The center of hunger and saturation is located in the hypothalamus. If the level of glucose in the blood decreases, a signal is received about the need to eat food and increase the energy balance.
With an unbalanced diet and the habit of snacking sweets in the body does not receive the required amount of nutrients.
It will be possible to restore the eating disorder by following three simple rules:
- Eat should be at least three times a day.
- In the diet you need to adhere to the formula 50% carbohydrates, 25% protein and 25% fat.
- Use sweets in small quantities (up to 100 g) as a snack between main meals, and never eat on an empty stomach.
Replenish the lack of amino acids
Lack of amino acids can be the cause of poor sleep and appetite, fatigue and indisposition. The amino acid tryptophan, which is involved in the regulation of the synthesis of vitamin B3 and appetite, is indispensable for humans. You can fill the gap with certain products:
- Soy and legumes, lentils, chickpeas, peas.
- Dairy products, yogurt, milk, ryazhenka, kefir.
- All nuts contain tryptophan. It is enough to consume per day up to 50 g of almonds, walnuts, cashews, and hazelnuts.
- Mushrooms and dried fruits, dates, raisins, figs.
- Meat and fish, especially sea.
Vitamins of group B
Vitamins of group B, which can be taken in the form of tablets of the vitamin complex, or correct nutrition, will help to maintain and strengthen the nervous system.
Essential vitamins in food:
- Walnuts contain an adequate amount of vitamin B1, B5 and B6.
- Bananas are rich in vitamin C and B5-6.
- Almonds, cashews are the source of the whole complex of group B-B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9.
- Avocados and oats are rich in vitamins B1, B5 and B6.
- Spirulina, spinach, asparagus and pumpkin are rich in vitamins B12 and B6.
Foods rich in zinc
In the body, zinc is involved not only in the metabolism of proteins, fats, carbohydrates and enzymes, but also contributes to sexual development, the functioning of the immune system and the pancreas with the synthesis of insulin.
To compensate for the lack of zinc such products:
- Barley and buckwheat,
- lean meat turkey, rabbit and duck,
- peas beans and chickpeas,
- low-fat cheese and curd,
- pine nuts, peanuts.
Appetite Enhancement Medicines
Embarking on the correction of appetite without the advice of a doctor is extremely risky.
First of all, it is necessary to make sure of the cause of the eating disorder, since the treatment of psycho-emotional disorders is extremely different from the treatment of somatic diseases.
Restore appetite for anorexia nervosa syndrome, depression and neurosis.
Indirectly affect the appetite and improve the psycho-emotional state.
Regulate metabolism and increase tone.
Participates in metabolic processes and restores the metabolism of fats, proteins, and carbohydrates, thereby regulating eating behavior and appetite.
The importance of nutrition
Regular nutrition not only enriches the body with essential nutrients, but also sets the rhythm of functioning of all the organs of digestion and metabolism. At the same time, it is important to eat regularly and in a balanced manner, while respecting the intake of proteins, fats and carbohydrates.
Optimal four or five meals.
- Breakfast should be in the first 2 hours after waking up, in the ratio of 2: 1 carbohydrate and protein foods.
- The first snack can be between breakfast and lunch. Suitable fruit, light salad, dairy products.
- Lunch should contain at least 40% protein, 30% fat and 30% carbohydrate. The proportion of simple carbohydrates - flour and sweet, should be a third less than the amount of complex carbohydrates (cereals, cereals, legumes).
- The optimal second snack - protein foods (eggs, cottage cheese), nuts, 1 fruit of your choice, vegetables in any form.
- Dinner should be light, mostly protein with a sufficient amount of vegetables, fiber. Carbohydrates before bed are not recommended.
Appetite stimulants - spices and seasonings
Some foods especially increase hunger and appetite, and can rightly replace medicines.
- Marinades, pickles, canned and pickled cucumbers and tomatoes.
- Herb-based spices - basil, cilantro, dill, paprika and chilli.
- Ground black and white pepper.
- Horseradish, mustard, ginger and wasabi.
- Fresh sour berries or fruit drinks from cranberries, cranberries, lemon and pomegranate juice.
However, if there is a disease of the stomach, gastritis or peptic ulcer - it is forbidden to stimulate the appetite with peppered, salty and sour food. This can provoke inflammation of the gastric mucosa and exacerbation of the underlying disease.
Loss of appetite may not be the only manifestation of emotional overstrain and stress. In order to prevent nervous exhaustion and anorexia in the depressed state, you should not resort to methods of increasing the appetite without the advice of a doctor. At present, an experienced neuropsychiatrist can easily identify the causes of poor appetite, and prescribe the most appropriate treatment and remedies that will not harm the body.
Factors contributing to rejection of food
The situation in which a person does not feel the desire to eat, can be explained by the following circumstances:
- Medication use (for example, nausea, emetic urge, lack of appetite due to chemotherapy for tumors, taking heavy antiviral agents).
- Emotional disturbances (emotional overload, grief, anxiety or depression).
- Surgical interventions.
- Period of gestation, which is accompanied by a refusal to eat, nausea and dizziness.
- Unfavorable situations associated with eating.
- Appearance and properties of products that provoke negative memories.
- Addiction to alcohol, narcotic substances.
- The problem associated with the disorder of perception of his figure and the observance of excessively rigid diets.
Should I consult a doctor?
It must be remembered that this symptom does not in all cases indicate any malfunction of the human body. Factors such as individual characteristics, gender, age category, health status, physical activity and working conditions should be taken into account. Those who regularly go in for sports are more likely to need food than those who barely exercise. Young people are harder to bear the feeling of hunger compared with the elderly.
However, it must be remembered that a person who suffers from a lack of appetite for a long time needs to seek medical help. Modern medical examinations, as well as a survey and examination of a doctor, make it possible to clearly establish the cause of the violation.
Sometimes not the patient himself, but his relatives pay attention to the occurrence of this symptom. This situation is typical for individuals who are under stress or are suffering from depression. In such cases, the doctor uses a questionnaire or testing to determine emotional problems.
It is quite simple for a specialist to determine the disease with which this symptom is associated when it gives a distinct clinical picture. For example, with a combination of upset stool, vomiting and lack of appetite, additional examinations may not be necessary.
However, in some cases, the loss of need for food is not accompanied by other signs of any deviation. For example, in patients with eating disorders. This situation is very dangerous. After all, a person or his relatives often turn to a medical institution at the late stages of violations.
Anorexia - a disease that often affects young people, especially the fair sex. The disease causes a strong damage to health, because it affects all the natural mechanisms of the body, causing the need for food. For this reason, lack of appetite in patients with anorexia is difficult and long corrected in special medical institutions, and even therapy does not provide an absolute guarantee of recovery. In addition, with the further development of the violation, the loss of craving for food is accompanied by nausea and gagging. Consequently, the body of the individual quickly loses the necessary substances and fluids, weakens, and depletes.
List of pathologies associated with refusal to eat
There are many diseases that provoke a lack of appetite. These include the following:
- Psychical deviations.
- Drug addiction.
- The period of gestation.
- Shortage of thyroid hormones.
- Infections (Hepatitis, Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome, Tuberculosis).
- Diseases of the digestive tract (intestine, stomach, gallbladder).
- Cancer pathologies of the digestive system.
- Ulcers of the digestive tract.
- The presence of gallstones.
- Disorders of the urinary system and liver.
- Pathology of the heart muscle and blood vessels (eg, hypertension).
- Infection with parasites.
- The use of drugs containing hormones.
- Surgical interventions.
- Taking an excessive amount of drugs (for drug dependence).
Period of gestation
The symptom of lack of appetite in combination with weakness, dizziness and nausea is characteristic of expectant mothers. This is due to changes in the balance of hormones and processes that occur in the central nervous system. The body of a pregnant woman is trying to adapt to the appearance of the fetus and at the same time is trying to reject it, taking it as an alien element. Therefore, the expectant mother feels unwell, does not tolerate certain types of food, often she has emetic urges. Many women suffer from these symptoms only in the early stages of carrying a child.However, in some cases, the signs of toxemia long bother a pregnant woman and lead to severe disruptions in the body.
With a significant deterioration of health is necessary to contact a gynecologist.
Refusal of food from a child
Parents are usually very worried about the fact that the baby does not want to eat. After all, his growing body loses the nutrients necessary for good health.
In young children, there is often a symptom such as loss of appetite, in the period of appearance of milk teeth. Gum inflammation and viral infection (herpes) can also cause discomfort, leading to failure to eat. In infants, this symptom is often explained by disorders of the gastrointestinal tract, the immaturity of the digestive system. Lack of appetite in a child, which is accompanied by crying and anxiety, blue tint of the skin and fever - a reason for immediate treatment to the doctor.
Sometimes parents notice that their son or daughter refuses previously favorite foods. This condition may be due to the fact that the body needs a more varied diet, other nutrients. It should be attentive to the diet of the baby and feeding time. Lack of appetite in a child is often due to emotional overloads (transition to another educational institution, quarrels with parents, the appearance of a sister or brother, the death of a beloved pet).
Causes in adults not associated with pathologies
If the loss of interest in food lasts no more than five days, completely disappears without the use of special preparations, does not provoke a dramatic weight loss, it is not dangerous for the body.
This condition may be caused by the following circumstances:
- PMS (malaise associated with a change in the balance of hormones before the critical day).
- In the absence of appetite, the reason for an adult may be overeating in the evening hours, after work. If a person did not have the opportunity to have a normal dinner, for supper he would be very hungry. A large amount of heavy food causes nausea, poor sleep, and vomiting after waking up. Naturally, this condition is associated with loss of appetite.
- Fasting and strict diet for a long time. This symptom is due to the fact that the digestive system organs no longer receive food normally. Strong restrictions in food reduce the ability to work, impair immunity, make a person susceptible to various infections and stresses.
- Chronic overwork. Severe weakness and lack of appetite are often observed in those who wear hard. Therefore, experts recommend to devote a sufficient amount of time to sleep and rest.
When do I need medical care?
A person needs to consult a doctor in the following circumstances:
- Nausea and lack of appetite, as well as emetic urges do not pass within five days.
- These phenomena are accompanied by discomfort in the abdominal cavity, throat, or back.
- The pain is acute.
- There is an increase in temperature, intestinal disorders.
- Blood particles are found in the stool, vomit.
What to do at home?
If the lack of appetite in an adult or a minor is due to reasons not related to pathology (eating low-quality food, hormonal changes), the patient should be given as much liquid as possible (water, mineral water, cranberry decoctions, chamomile). Reception of the means containing enzymes is recommended. In the presence of a viral disease, anti-microbial agents are necessary. You should also adjust the diet. Food should be easily digested. Suitable products boiled, steamed (lean meat, poultry, vegetables). It is necessary to abandon the hungry diets that are detrimental to the state of the digestive system.
What medical events are prescribed by a specialist?
If a person has lost his appetite due to a serious malfunction of the body, the doctor recommends to undergo tests that help determine the cause of the ailment.
Diagnosis usually includes the following procedures:
- Laboratory blood tests. Appointed general and biochemical.
- Research other biomaterials.
- Assessment of the chest with x-rays.
- Examination of the patient by a general practitioner, as well as doctors of various profiles.
Lack of interest in food is a condition that periodically occurs in everyone, regardless of gender and age group. If this phenomenon is not present for a long time, is not accompanied by a pronounced deterioration of health and loss of kilograms, do not worry. The human body itself is able to recover from illness, surgery or negative external influences. But when the appetite is absent for quite some time, the body is in serious danger. Cells and tissues are deprived of the substances necessary for their normal activity. Not in all cases you can handle the problem yourself. Sometimes only a timely appeal for medical help can prevent the development of sad consequences.